Sunday, February 12, 2012

Additions to the Website and reflections on life

Recently, my talented webmaster Judah Mahay added a slide show to my website (www.violarussell.com). As I combed through the family album in order to select the pictures, I began to assess my past, present, and future. Much of who I am has been shaped by those who went before me, but I also had to embrace my past in order to transcend it and form who I was.
The pictures brought the people I've loved and lost back in the bittersweet way only memory can. I love the pictures I chose of my parents. My father's signing a boxing contract. He was a trainer and manager at one time. Later, he was a horse trainer/bookie and a restaurant/bar owner who began life driving an ice wagon. My father was a survivor of the Depression. He would straighten nails to erect a new fence, and he never glorified the past. When someone would say he/she remembered when apples were a nickel, my father would quickly retort, "Who in hell had the nickel?" He learned early how to hustle and survive. Not much was left after his death, but when he was alive, we instinctively knew all would be well. My mother's in the slideshow, too, standing on Canal Street with her best friend Terry. They were so gorgeous and classy. I miss my parents so very much that it's sometimes like bile in my throat.
My most recent book is LOVE AT WAR, and the experiences of family members during WWII inspired me to write that book. The picture of my Uncle Willie in his Navy uniform brings back bittersweet memories. He began life as a merry prankster, loving women and life. He returned from the Pacific theatre a changed man, good-hearted but hardened by war. When I wrote the character of Nuala's brother George in LOVE AT WAR (www.redrosepublishing.com and Amazon), I initially didn't think that he would play such a huge part in the novel, and after I'd written a substantial amount of it, I realized I'd recreated my uncle in George. Not that Willie's experience mirrored George's, but he was a man like George--wild, daring, and brave. In the novel, George becomes as much a hero as Nuala and Keith. The picture of my Uncle Russell standing with his wife and baby rends my heart whenever I see it. I never met Russell. In fact, his only daughter doesn't remember him because he never returned from Germany. His wife was a widow at twenty-three, and their passionate letters to each other are more moving than any novel. His experience also doesn't simply mirror what happens in my book, but the spirit of these people permeates the book. The spirits of these people surrounded me as I wrote.
Those pictures, however, are my past. I had to find myself in the midst of genetics and family lore. Following the road of my own destiny is a long one, and I'm know I've not finished the journey. Th slideshow also contains images of my trips to places like Ireland and England. I've forged fond memories of those places, an they will figure prominently in future, coming novels. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. I am now following and hope you will follow my link in the signature below to visit my blog.

    If you are interested in kicking into high gear in reaching out to the blogging community and getting yourself out there, you might be interested in joining us in the Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops looks like part of my comment got messed up. What I was suggest was checking out:

    Blogging from A to Z

    It's a great way to increase your followers and meet many bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post. My family too suffered losss in WWII. In fact there's not a family on our island that had not lost a member. I know this woman who lost everyone - 3 sons, 2 daughters a husband and three brothers. There was a plaque on the wall in her hallway, but what good did that do her? Imagine all those generations that simply perished, leaving nothing but elderly and small children. On our island there was not a new baby born until 1959. So you can also imagine at least three generations that never been born due to those of childbearing age who died. I love the books about WWII to teach us the war will bring nothing but destruction and also not to let us forget. It is known fact our history is bound to repeat itself if we don't know it. Sad part is the schools don't even teach this anymore. Kids today have no idea what V-day stands for and it's not Valentine's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm a teacher, and an unbelievable number of our kids are culturally illiterate of too many things.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting. I especially liked your father's comment, "who the hell had the nickel." He was so right. What difference does it make how much it cost, if we didn't have enough for it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back then, no one had a nickel. Right now, I'm researching the Depression. It was one bloody, sad time.

      Delete
  5. Maybe you should publish those letters from your uncle Russel and his wife, if their heirs will let you. People are fascinated by stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete