Monday, June 20, 2011

Love, War, and the Human Spirit

My latest release LOVE AT WAR( www.redrosepublishing.com) was born of a great deal of research and more than a touch of family lore. My grandparents lived on Palmyra Street, as do Nuala's parents. My grandmother fixed stewed chicken on Sundays. My uncles fought in WWII, and one of them never returned from that horrific conflict.

I've placed some very dramatic posts on my Facebook page of late. When I wrote LOVE AT WAR, I was extremely conscious that I was portraying a momentous time in history. Yes, I realize that history is a construct that varies depending upon the writer and the culture, but the loss war inflicts onto the people caught within its web is overwhelming. Supposedly, WWII was the war to end all wars, but the Second World War soon followed. We saw the evil of genocide with that war. Many predicted that genocide would never happen again, but it has occurred in places like Rwanda and Serbia. My novel recreates many graphic war scenes, but I hope I have shown the damage war inflicts as well as the heroism it inspires. In the midst of terror, people rise above the chaos of war, conquer their fears, and often defeat the evil they must confront.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think anyone should forget how horrific people can be to people.

    ReplyDelete